Last weekend I judged a round of mock-congressional debate at a high school tournament. Teens argued for and against various proposals they’d written, one being a bill to eliminate the debt ceiling.
One young man gave a speech for it. Then a young woman asked him if this measure might not result in catastrophic debt accumulation.
“I don’t think our politicians would be that stupid,” he said.
A few minutes later she gave a speech, against the measure. Directly referring to the boy who’d spoken before her, she said, “Our national debt is already 17 trillion dollars. Don’t you think that’s stupid?”
I want to ask every progressive in America, especially those now in or seeking political office, to commit to the following ten-point statement:
I will not at any time endorse or participate in any social movement or advocate any legislative change that promotes:
• Legalizing incestuous relationships
• Legalizing polygamous relationships
• Legalizing sexual relationships with, or depictions of, minors under the current age of consent
• Granting animals any new legal rights currently reserved for humans
• Granting governments any new power, outside of taxation, to arbitrarily seize money held in accounts and investments of private citizens
• Continue reading →