This post will be updated throughout the weekend.
President Uchtdorf: The Light is Calling to You
- We have an innate feeling pulling us towards God, like animals’ instincts to get home
- God calls out to us, no matter what
- Our life will be better if we answer the call
- God will use us to make others’ lives better
- A good description of the disciple’s life as the good life!
- “Begin your own wonderful journey home.”
- “Blessings don’t come from abilities as much as from choices.”
- Even pioneer heroes were just human
- The light of Christ…the talk comes full circle!
- “No one else is responsible for your journey.”
- “Reach out, encourage, heal…”
- Life as a pilgrimage
Bonnie L. Oscarson (YW Pres): Service
- Lose ourselves in service to find ourselves
- Service is better in person than online
- Some of our most significant service will be close to home: family and ward family
- “What makes you think you go to mutual because of what YOU get out of it?”
- “We are not just receivers and takers of what is offered at church…we are givers.”
- [When we pull our heads into our shells, our world gets smaller]
- “Who needs me today?”
Elder Oaks: Avoiding Worldliness on the Family
- TSM: reject anything that does not conform to our standards
- Family proc. is essential guidance for exaltation
- “marriage standards of a declining world”(!)
- TOO MUCH truth in this talk–amazing job laying down the law on the family!
Elder Pingree (70): Living to Make a Difference
- We can all make a difference
- 1. focus on others
- 2. discover and develop spiritual gifts (“speaking and writing persuasively”)
- 3. make use of adversity
- 4. rely on God
- “sin is perhaps our greatest stumbling block” Great stuff after this, too! Study!
Elder Christofferson: The Sacrament and the Atonement and Us
- Sacrament and atoning grace
- “beautiful symbolism”
- Movement and progress through coming closer to Christ through sacrament/Atonement
- Excellent story about a man’s dream and it’s inspiring aftermath in this talk! Review!
Elder Holland: Divine Love Blesses Us
- Pursue personal improvement without becoming depressed
- Sermon on the Mount is not a hammer, but a tribute to HF and what we can achieve with Him
- Receive grace and salvation as a gift
- Parable is about us, human family of sinners and debtors
- Be a little more Godlike in little things
- Tolstoy reference? Look it up.
- We’re not hypocrites, we’re human
- “Gospel glasses”
- not blinders, but enhances vision
- uses and abuses of tech
President Nelson: The Book of Mormon
- How precious is the Book of Mormon?
- References TSM’s last talk
- lists as notes for scripture study…recommended!
- Three GREAT questions to ponder!
- Immersing ourselves in BoM can change life
- …We’ll make better decisions every day
- “Daily immerse yourself in the Book of Mormon”
- “We must feel it so deeply we wouldn’t want to live even one day without it!”
- uses names of McConkie’s Messiah series in testimony
[I saw the Priesthood session at home, but was busy with chores–it was in the background–I’ll have to review it later]
Jean Bingham (RS Pres): The Atonemnet
- Refers back to Nelson and Ballard on “Living Christ” last conference–study!
- Memorized “The Living Christ!”
- Examples of the depth of the Atonement
- Story of us as a lost and confused bird trapped in a house–clever
- Becoming more Christlike–directions and inspiration
- A very “Apostolic” talk! :) Loved it!
Elder Hallstrom (70): Faith and Miracles
- Reminds me of the talk “But If Not”
- “submit to His will and not be healed”
- great examples of miracles to remember and be grateful for
Elder Bednar: Temple and Sabbath
- “Escaping the Corruption That Is In the World”
- References to New Testament and Fam Proc
- Sabbath is a sacred time, set apart
- Great scripture use in this talk–review them!
Bro. Waddell (2nd Pres. Bishopric):
- Realize our divine destiny!
- faith and patience in trials
Elder Zwick (70):
- Look inward for godly qualities
- reminders of living the gospel
- Another reference to TSM’s BoM talk! :)
- Has read the BoM every day for 50 years, but the message was for him, too! :)
- Great D&C 6 quote!
- service stories
- brings it back to the Book of Mormon–personal spiritual foundation for serving others like Christ
- Pioneer stories and example
- Examine our own trek
- keep the doctrine pure
Tad R. Callister!
- Book of Mormon…awesome!!!!!
Elder Koch (70):
- giving the benefit of the doubt
- unity–this is a sweet talk
Elder Ellis (70):
[sounded good, but I was still processing and making notes on the last three talks and missed this one!]
Elder Parella (70):
- 1. God calls prophets, seers, and revelators
- 2. true nature of God
- 3. Jesus is the Messiah
Elder Ardern (70):
- testimony of the gospel and restored church!
- beware of spiritual caterpillars
- yet another warning against worldiness
Elder Alonso (70):
- show our love to others
- study conference!
- test for us is how we respond to this
- super sweet and inspirational talk! Review quotes and..all of it!