On the way to work Thursday morning, I heard this little peice on the radio. I wasn’t paying much attention to the DJ’s introduction, so when the music started and I was into it right away, I tried to remember what he’d said about it. The words “Grieg,” “piano,” “wife,” and “anniversary” came to mind. Googling those terms that afternoon told me that the song I’d heard was “Wedding Day at Troldhaugen.”
I picked up the first CD I found at the library that had that track on it. It was Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Performed On Grieg’s Piano),performed by Leif Ove Andsnes.
This isn’t the dark romance of Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata;” Grieg gives us a sprightly march that wraps us up in the ongoing fun of a relationship that’s as comfortable as it is exciting. As with the heroic marches that we might expect to hear over the end credits of an action movie, there’s even a lilting slow section in the middle before the familiar melody bubbles back up to carry us to the tune’s satisfying conclusion.
Of ocurse, this is only one of 24 pieces on this album and, so far, the rest seem just as effectively accomplished.
Read more reviews and listen to some excerpts at its Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Grieg-Lyric-Pieces-Performed-Griegs/dp/B00005UUOC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211046529&sr=8-5
Recommended for listening to while:
- transitioning from the hectic pace of real life at the start of a date night
- waiting for the commercials to finish when you’re really listening to talk radio
- getting up enough motivation and optimism to last one more day as you drive to work (especially between April and August)
- trying to think of a positive entry for your surprisingly somber blog
- eating candy
- more pleasantly passing the time as you do grunt work around the house
- connecting to the subtle, sublime joy that permeates daily life, just under the surface of it all
Also, if you haven’t read it, you might go back and read my previous music review, of Hilary Hahn: https://gentlyhewstone.wordpress.com/2008/04/10/recommended-music-the-essential-hilary-hahn/